Many of you know how dedicated I am to the health and wellness of others as an occupational therapist and that I have a strong committment to my own health so that I can be a champion for others. I am a regular in fitness classes at the Northeast Cobb YMCA almost every day of the week, spinning, running, stair climbing, and boot camping.
The vision of the YMCA is to bring people together to champion communities where everyone belongs. Many people think of the YMCA as a great place to exercise but may not be familiar with all of the great programming we do that impacts our community. While membership dollars pay for the facilities and the exercise equipment, the YMCA relies on funds raised each year during the Why It Matters Campaign to support all of the programming that we do that make our communities richer.
Last year, our branch made the following impact through the campaign:
• 120 children attended the Little School which is a preschool program for 4 year old children who do not speak English as their primary language get them ready for kindergarten
• 360 teens participated in service learning to develop life and leadership skills
• 4,000 children had a safe and active summer camp experience
• 13,300 meals were served to children who get free or reduced lunch at school but go hungry during school breaks
• 11,000 pounds of produce were delivered to families who live in food deserts
• 2,500 children in apartment communities learned how to swim and be safe around water/pools
• 1,756 Seniors stayed active and gained a sense of community
I'm proud to be a Board member and Y Champion this year to ensure more local kids, teens, seniors, and families have access and opportunity to be a part of the Y and be able to benefit from the community outreach programs that are available because of everyone's support.
The 2020 Why It Matters Campaign is off to a great start and I am asking you to support me in my efforts to help give ALL people the opportunity to reach their full potential through Y programs. After 158 years of serving metro Atlanta, the Y understands what our community needs to be its best. As a charitable nonprofit, the Y relies odonors and volunteers to ensure thousands of local kids and teens have the support they need to stay on-track in school, grow as leaders, and learn how to contribute to a better community.
Every dollar donated to the WHY IT MATTERS Annual Giving Campaign has a lasting impact on the people of metro Atlanta by ensuring that no one is turned away from the Y -- regardless of ability to pay.
Please join me and support the Y by making a donation today. Your gift will truly make a meaningful difference in the lives of those who need the Y most.
With heartfelt thanks,
East Cobb YMCA Board Member